Saving threads in Dots
If you want to store a thread, click the three dots on the right of the message. In the message action, click "Save threads". This will save the message to the Coda or Airtable (once you have followed the setup instructions below)
Note: A success message will be displayed. If this message doesn't show up, please let us know!
The messages will now be accessible in the Messages section of Dots under "Saved"
Currently, any member can trigger save threads option. So its not a per user based as of now. Let us know if you have any questions on this!
You can also connect Airtable, Notion or Coda to save these messages in addition to the aove view (you cannot have all three of them).
We will need the API key for Airtable, or Coda + the table where you want to store threads (you will have to duplicate our template to store it correctly).
Steps below for a) Notion b) Coda c) Airtable:
2. Duplicate the Notion page that is shown on the page
3. Click Add to Notion. Here authorize the app and select the page that you just duplicate. Please only select this page, otherwise the app won't work
4. At this point you're all set! Try saving a thread to the Floppy by click the message shortcut in Slack! You'll get a confirmation message if it works.
1. Under Settings, Find Save thread settings and under destination select Coda. You will now need to grab the Coda API key and the Coda Table URL - read more
2. Coda API Key: Grab your Coda API key at coda.io/account in the API settings section (scroll down). Please click generate API token and grab the value.
3. Coda Table URL: We will need to create a copy of our existing table, and then share the Link to Dots. Here's how you do it:
- Head to this Coda document, click on the table name (where it says Floppy Disk table, you should see a blue box for you to copy), and copy with "Cmd+C" https://coda.io/@pranav-badami/floppy-disk-doc
- Go to your Coda space, and paste the table into a document.
- Click on the table name again (Floppy Disk Table) and copy the resulting URL in Coda in the picture below (not the share link URL)
Note: It should end with
_tuABCwhere ABC is a random pattern. It should look something like below:
- In Dots settings, under Coda Table URL, paste the Coda URL.
- 1.At this point you're all set! Try saving a thread to the Floppy by click the message shortcut in Slack! You'll get a confirmation message if it works.
1.Under Settings, Find Save thread settings and under destination select Airtable. You will now need the Airtable API key and the Airtable base - read more
2. Get API key (or generate one if you don't have it): Goto airtable.com/account and scroll to find API key. Click Generate if you don't have one already
We will only use this key to make changes to the base you give us permission to. So let's get the base ID where the data will be stored.
3. Duplicate our base template: Click here to access our template and on the top right click Copy Base (as seen below)
Add to the workspace you want it to be shown
Once added, you will now see the base on your airtable home page. Do not rename the Saved threads table, but you can add additional table to this if you would like (e.g to create a different view)
You will see a screen below, find the green text that says ID of the base is appU..... Select this text and copy it.
Now paste this ID under Dots settings